The Snail Wrangler℠ is Marla Coppolino, a land snail scientist, formally known as a malacologist (one who studies mollusks). The Snail Wrangler℠ has a unique combination of experience as not only a snail scientist, but also as an artist, illustrator, photographer, and performer.
- BS Biological Sciences, University of Georgia
- MS Zoology, Southern Illinois University
- Biological Illustrator and fine artist since 1992
- Former collections manager of mollusks at American Museum of Natural History
- Former assistant manager Evolution, SOHO, NYC – a fun and famed science shop
- Research Associate, Paleontological Research Institution, Ithaca, NY
- Research Associate, Delaware Museum of Natural History, Wilmington, DE
- American Malacological Society
- Unitas Malacologia
- Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
- Natural History Network
Meet the snails!
The land snails currently used for photography and film are the brown-lipped snail. Their scientific name is Cepaea nemoralis. This species comes in several solid colors and also striped. It is a very active and lively snail.