You are already helping just by educating yourself about all the wonderful things land snails do. You can be an advocate for snails by telling your friends and family that they are an important part of the ecosystem.
Here are some ways that you can help snails:
- Don’t use pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, or other chemicals on your property, or at least avoid use of them in the natural areas of your property.
- Keep part of your property in a natural state, that is, if a tree falls, leave it to decay. This makes a great habitat for snails.
- If you like to observe snails in nature, you can do so, and then leave them where you found them.
- If you turn over old logs and stone to find snails, be sure that you place these back just as you had found them.
- Spread the word to others that land snails are beautiful and important to our ecosystem!